Wednesday 23 April 2014

Nurse


Nurse

Unaccustomed as I am to hospitals, I’m sure I can help the effort.
Unaccustomed as I am to workers, I know that I won’t be caught short.
I mean how hard can it be?
Unaccustomed as I am to hardship, I can put up with a roughing it a tad
Unaccustomed as I am to foreign lands, of course it’s not a fad.
I mean what is there to see?

One has to support the war effort
So I’ll serve King and Country as a VAD
As a field nurse helping young men,
Walking wounded, shelled shocked and sad.
I’ve had three months training and I’m ready for the trench
Though I haven’t seen a dead body as it rots within sickening stench.
But they tell me I am ready and I’m cut out for battle nursing
And I volunteered, so there’s no reversing.
I mean - how hard can it be?


By Linda Prince

No comments: