Tuesday 3 March 2015

My BIG day out


So came the day - 26th February 2015 my investiture, a CBE - Commander of the British Empire. 

The black cab driven by Jamie, my son Alex's mate, drove through the south gate and pulled up into the palace quadrangle just in front of the changing of the guards spot. The drizzle didn't dampen spirits. Adam my eldest son, held an umbrella over my cousin May from Scotland, she had flown in the day before. So that was it, my party, three guests and me.
We walked through security into the palace and waited for a while in a long gallery, very long sofas all red velvet, gold and beautiful paintings. 

Walking on plush red carpets towards the ballroom where the investiture was to happen we were separated into recipient and guests. I was to be 'rehearsed' in the Green Room, chairs and sofas upholstered in green velvet with the carved legs and arms in gold.  There was a glass of water and/or apple juice, not sure if it was Duchy produce.

Then its ‘you’re on’ queuing for your turn to curtsey (or bow) and the nerves, held at bay until now, threaten to take over. Deep breaths and its your name, summoned before Princes Charles. “Professor Caroline Elizabeth Whalley for services to education.”  I didn’t hear any of it and was just gently ushered from my frozen start to the dais. I think I curtsied but will have to wait for the DVD to see how I did.


No comments: