Saturday 25 April 2015

The odd Sock


I used to have a friend and we went everywhere together
But now I sit, crumpled and alone.
Selected for a minute, my spirits rise
But are dashed, abandoned forever.

But I’m still in the wash, still in the frame
And with old friends all in pairs
I am tossed inside the drum
And breathless we await the waiting game.

Two tablets to whiten, some gloopy smell like the breeze,
A powder that stops limescale damage.
The knob whirrs around and at forty degrees
We wait for the drum to reprise.

First we go this way, then we go that,
I jostle for position, a lone water rat.

Would that the magic formula could wash out my sins
Or the particles whiten lies I have told.
I pray the bleach will absolve me
And return me to a time when we were twins.

I have lost my friend and the others take pity
As the suds renew and restore.
The waters purify and the automatic soap dispenses
Blessings from the cleansing committee.

Once I was half of a couple and together we laughed
Now I am alone with no sole,
Lonely with no absolved soul
I jostle for position, solitary on my raft.

First I go this way, then I go another.
Who will care for me, now there is no significant other?


By Linda Prince 



No comments: