Wednesday 6 May 2015

I know you might be tired of hearing about it all - but please - do vote - whoever it is for!!

We did this last month as part of our Poetry Month:


Election Time

I am a constituent and I try when I can
To visit the ballot box, exercising my vote.
Together we elect a representative of the community
But this constituent is starting to float.

I am part of the electorate and I try when I may
Enfranchised with others to send them to Public office.
But should I go right or lean to the left
Or abstain and just cut my losses?

I am a cog in a wheel and I try when I must
To do justice to the suffrage sisters.
But cometh the hour, cometh the man
For somehow we still over-elect the Misters.

I am an elector and I try when the time comes
To do my duty and cast the paper incognito
But all of the colours and all of the shades
Make me wish I had power of veto.

I would just add:

I am an elector and I owe it others
To exercise my vote even even if I spoil your party.
The women who died, the wives and the mothers
the workers, the employers, the hale and the hearty.
And so tomorrow, however disillusioned, worried about hospitals or a nuclear threat
I will vote and remember those who could not and to whom I am forever in debt.

No comments: