Sunday 21 August 2016

Olympics


Olympic Great

We jump, we run and leap up high
We dive, duck and fence and punch you in the eye
We pass the ball and lift the weight
And wait with baited breath to leave the gate.
They win a bronze or silver or gold
And we will remember the records held until we are old.
I might take up fencing or maybe the javelin is for me
Then again, I pass on the baton across to the three.
Every four years I think I will take up a sport
I know that I should, I know that I ought.
I admire the fitness and the dedication of the team
I aspire to the commitment just dreaming the dream.
Well done to them all, every one who attended.
Well done everyone one striving with sinews extended.
Maybe I will exert myself and say that I tried
Or maybe I’ll take a rain check as it’s raining outside.
I could get gold for sofa surfing late into the night
Enthralled as I watch our Olympians with futures so bright.
You jump, you run and you leap up high
I duck and dive, sit on the fence with my bleary eye.
I’ll pace myself and take four years to get in shape
For another settee race, cry to the anthem and a medal drape.

No comments: